whisk me away.

whisk me away.
let's be hippies and dress like this.

Friday, June 11, 2010

i feel pretty. oh so pretty.

When I see people wearing clothes that don't fit on really important days - weddings, 21st birthdays, fridays - I always ask myself one question:   


don't you have anyone in your life who loves you?  

 My mother would never let me leave the house in half the atrocities I see violating the town strip at 3am on a Sunday morning and yet for some reason, you in your ten-sizes-too-small excuse for a town dress looking akin to 'champagne-strangled ham' and your similarly clad chronies are bumping and grinding on the dancefloor, sneering down your nose at me like I'm the weird one.

To be fair though, it's possible that in my judging, maybe I missed something.  Perhaps you are the only person in your family gifted with sight?  Or perhaps you belong to that culture that believes mirrors steal a part of your soul?  Or perhaps you wear a giant onesie over your ensemble and then change on the way to the nightclub?

Whatever it is I hope one day we find a cure for these avoidable crimes & stop allowing the ones we love to fool themselves into making fools of themselves.  Because it really isn't about being size zero with legs for days and a million dollar wardrobe.  I think it's just about realising not every trend is for everyone - that how you feel is not synonymous with what they think is cool - that it's okay to just be you.

My loved ones never hesitate to let me know when I'm making a real dick of myself and though it is sometimes hard to hear, I'm always thankful in hindsight. I hope you have someone who loves you just as much.

Lesson Eleven: Real love means telling the truth.
 

1 comment: