whisk me away.

whisk me away.
let's be hippies and dress like this.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

femme fatale.

I watched the movie 'Obsessed' the other night. If you don't know it I wouldn't bother looking it up. It was pretty intense to say the very least. The basic storyline is that a slutty little office temp falls for a handsome married guy and because he's happily married (let's take note that it is in this case to Beyonce which I personally think makes a difference here) and when he's not having a bar of it she creates an affair in her head and goes all Fatal Attraction stalker on him, breaking into his home, wearing his clothes, sending herself flowers and casually cradling his young child while he's out etc.

Though I admired her unwavering commitment to the cause, she really started to annoy me after awhile. I hate to sound perverted but I got a sick kind of satisfaction when she ended up smooshed between the glass table and the chandelier.

It's all a little far fetched for everyday life but I did feel kinda sorry for the poor guy. Somehow I don't think it's because he has two gorgeous women throwing themselves at him. I think it might just be that he was too good looking to be in such a predicament. Between the crazy death threats and kidnappings and suicide attempts it got me thinking about relationships.

I enjoyed the fact that he remained completely faithful to his wife the entire time (because the temptress was mass pretty - played by actress Ali Larter) despite the obvious and somewhat aggressive temptation. These days, where 1 in 4 marriages ends in divorce and over 40% of these are due to infidelity, I liked the fact that his marriage vows still meant something to him - that he was willing to do whatever it took to protect them.

I think every girl wants a love like that. Maybe not to have it tested by a suicidal maniac with homicidal tendencies but the general idea of forever meaning forever with no lame excuses about temptation or mistakes.

It also made me wonder a little about the power of women. Now I am not, nor will I ever be a staunch bra-burning, man-hating feminist type but I really do believe being a woman is a very powerful thing Complicated? Yes. Heavy burdened? Yes.  But there is something - grace? power? humility? determination? pride? - bubbling under the surface of every woman that makes you think, her smile has a thousand meanings and that maybe this one means "If you keep doing that, I know where I'm going to hide your body".

Lesson Nine: Never assume.  Especially where women are concerned.

[Now go and say thank you to all the special women you love and hope never to get on the wrong side of. xx]

No comments:

Post a Comment